Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Thin mint cupcakes

So the other day I was walking into the bank and a little girl and her dad had a million boxes of cookies to sell, now if you know me, I'm a sucker for sweets and I couldn't lie and say I don't have any money...I'm coming out of the bank for goodness sakes, long story short I bought 5 boxes :/ ate about 5 or six by the time I got into my car then went to work out to makeup for what I did! Well I can't keep eating these delicious cookies so I decided to make something sweet for my family and friends... Enjoy!

Here is what you will need...

20-25 thin mints
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

WET INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup hot water

FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese
16 oz powdered sugar
4 crushed thin mints
1 table spoon vanilla


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, then in a large mixing bowl add in your dry ingredients and mix with a fork until combined. HOLD OFF ON THE THIN MINTS THOUGH


Now that we blended our dry ingredients all together, go ahead and add in your eggs and your vanilla


Now add in your hot water and milk


Now add in your oil ( i used canola because that's what i had on hand)


Mix the ingredients really well with a fork, you don't need a mixer for his cake recipe... also take notice that the batter is more fluid than your traditional cake mix from a box


Now the fun part =] Smashing the thin mints into crumbs.. place your thin mints in a zip lock bag and crush

and add them into the bowl and mix =]


pour the batter into your cupcake pan with cupcake liners


Bake these delicious little guys for 20-25 minutes... if your unsure if they are done poke a tooth pick down the center and if the tooth pick comes out clean without any cake sticking to it then they are done!

Now for the frosting.... I always make my frosting once the cupcakes are done so it gives them a chance to cool down...if i make my frosting ahead of time I get really impatient waiting for them to cool and decorate them while they are hot and the frosting runs off of them... =(

OKAY..back to the frosting.. in a small bowl add in your cream cheese and vanilla, mix the two together until your cream cheese is smooth with no lumps. I mix with a fork or whisk.


Now add in the whole box of powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. The reason you add in a 1/2 cup at a time is because you will end up with lumps that take forever to get out. So if you get your frosting smooth then gradually add in more sugar and repeat its easier on you. TRUST me... through trial and error I finally got it down =]

Once your frosting is smooth add in a few crushed thin mints and mix


Now you can decorate your cupcakes and add a little garnish of cookie on top like so! I hope you like them =]



*** If you like your cake more minty, you can add in 2-3 drops of mint flavoring










No comments:

Post a Comment